Message of Hope supports the position that substance abuse is a disease that adversely affects the mind, body and spirit of the abuser as well as his or her loved ones. There are various stages of abuse/dependency an individual may experience.
Message of Hope believes that:
- Substance Abuse is a biopsychosocial disease affecting the cognitive, spiritual, emotional, and physical being of the individual.
- Substance abuse is a chronic, progressive health problem that responds positively to intervention and treatment.
- Behavioral change is possible.
- Every individual has the right to pursue recovery.
- Relapse prevention is a part of ongoing recovery.
- Recovering individuals are vital contributors to their families and the community.